15 Oct Oct 2021 – MacAdmins Meeting
October 20, 2021 – University of Utah, MacAdmins Meeting
The University of Utah, MacAdmins Meeting is held monthly at the Marriott Library on the 3rd Wednesday of each month at 11 AM Mountain Time. Presentations cover Apple technology and integration in a heterogeneous university enterprise environment. This month’s meeting will be held on Wed, Oct 20th, 2021 at 11 AM MT and we will provide live broadcasts and archives that will be made available 2-3 days after the meeting. If you have suggestions on presentations or interest in presenting, questions, or comments, please use the Contact Us option.
Nudging macOS Updates – By Topher Nadauld, KDInfoTech
Nudge is an application for enforcing macOS updates, written in Swift 5.5 and SwiftUI 5.2. In order to use the newest features of Swift, Nudge will only work on macOS 11.0 and higher.
This is a replacement for the original Nudge, which was written in Python 2/3. If you need to enforce macOS updates for earlier versions, it is recommended to use nudge-python.
Some enhancements to the SwiftUI version over nudge-python
- An enhanced UI, redesigned with new functionality
- A new UI called
- Support for localization
- Support for Apple Silicon macs
- Every one of the buttons can be customized
- Every text element except for the left portion can be customized
In this presentation, I will be going through the process of setting up the Swift version of Nudge for Big Sur, configuration profile options, and what the users can expect. Nudge is a great asset for any organization that needs to push updates to users. 2 weeks after 11.6 was released we have 75% of our computers on the latest version of macOS.
About Topher Nadauld
Topher Nadauld, Jamf Engineer for KDInfoTech, has 13 years of Apple Management experience and 6 of those with Jamf Pro. He is an Apple Management guru that enjoys working on complex problems and automation. Topher also enjoys making movies and video games in his spare time.
- Video – To view the archived presentation video, click here.
- Slides – To view the archived presentation slides, click here.
Questions, comments, problems, and fixes.
Due to the coronavirus (aka Covid-19) crisis, this meeting will not be meeting in person but will currently be done virtually using Zoom video communications architecture.
- Require a Password to Join This meeting will require a password to join the meeting. Information will be emailed via a campus internal lists, but if you are external and want to attend the meeting, please use the contact us form to receive details. Else, the archive of the meeting will be available 2-3 days after the live meeting.
- Miscellaneous We will also implement other settings and safeguards to secure the meeting.